Re: Crank spigot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank spigot
From: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA (Vern Klukas)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 22:56:20 PDT
>From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
>Subject: Crank spigot
>
>I bought an engine recently that has a little rust at the rear face
>of the crankshaft and in the race that accepts the spigot bush.
>
>How critical is the finish on this surface, and will rust removal and
>light polishing be satisfactory?  It is unfortunate to have surface
>distress (stress raisers) in this piece.

Yes Tim, this is fine as long as there is no deep pitting (over say .020")
The end flange of the crank is actually (on most engines) fairly lightly
stressed. I am presuming that this is not going to be a ultimate race
engine of course. If the rusted surface is the one which mates with the
flywheel, take care not polish waves or undulations into it, as this can
cause the flywheel bolts to work loose over time, tho I have never seen
this happen for this reason, and I have seen some pretty gruesome crank
flanges, mostly on aircooled VWs which were (are) prone to throwing
flywheels anyway because of the small dowels and the large gland nut affair
holding the flywheel on.

Best o' luck
Vern

Vern Klukas                                       I'm a little teapot
vernk@carver.dataflux.bc.ca or                    Short and...
ug141@freenet.victoria.bc.ca or
inkspot@carver.dataflux.bc.ca