cheap LBCs for the masses? was:comp nerd

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL as always)
Subject: cheap LBCs for the masses? was:comp nerd
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 15:15:09 -0400
>From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
>
>regarding the choice of britcars for sole-transport and cost-effectiveness...
>
>A compelling argument to buy, for example, an MGB is that it is most likely
>THE least expensive car to operate and maintain.
>Given the generally low startup cost (an MG in very good shape is rarely
>worth as much as a 5-year old econobox), low maintenance/restoration
>costs, and typically good gas mileage, britcar ownership can be quite
>economically justifiable.

Around here, anyway, an MG in very good shape is easily worth as much as a
five year old econobox. Is a daily driver LBC doable? Of course. Economic?
No. A five year old econobox will not need to have all the rubber brake
bits replaced, new suspension bushes, a patch in the gas tank, rust-related
bodywork, a new radiator, or perhaps a new wiper motor. A five year old
econobox will not have corroded electrical connections, a scratched up
windscreen, tired seats, a worn carpet, or worst, six previous owners. What
I would consider to be a very good LBC could have any one of these faults,
and probably more than one, and probably just about to have a few more. As
long as the owner of the five year old econobox changed the oil, the most
it's likely to need are some new brake pads and a muffler.

Because they're fun and interesting, the prices of LBCs are inflated
compared to their contemporaries. You can easily acquire something that
shows the ravages of time much less for the same money, but you pay
in boredom. The 4.5 year old Cavalier, very common, boring, and cheap on
the used car market, currently has the lofty need for a new serpentine
belt. The '82 Oldsmobile Ciera is rusty and starting to have mechanical
difficulties, but it's been in my family since new. Parts for it are
commonly available, and pretty cheap, as there are simply so many of them
on the road, but I still have to give it some time, have a good eye for
troubleshooting, but I would not like to be given that car blindfolded and
expect to continue to make it run on a daily basis. As I know it so well,
I hope to make it last a few more winters, but I only have myself to blame
for the madness of the previous owner. The TR7 is a mess of  P.O. bodges,
with a new one showing up every month (why did he do that, why, why, why!),
and as a rust-free southern car, all the rubber bits are shrunken and
cracked.

An LBC is *not* cheap transportation for someone who just wants cheap
transportation. It's an alternative where one trades lots of time, TLC
and significant money for something fun and a little different. Resources
like this list are a big help, but you still have to change your own U
joints. And yes, you get a good feel for your car and some personal
satisfaction, and while I find making up TRF orders entertaining, lots of
people would rather spend the time going to the movies. Or spend the money
on a VCR.

>However, that is if you can avoid getting over-enthusiastic about it/them
>(cf shipwrights disease and variants).

Ah, that's another kettle of fish entirely.

Jody

jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '80 TR7 drophead