TR7/8 aerodynamics

To: meeq462@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu (TR8)
Subject: TR7/8 aerodynamics
From: "Vaughan K. Scott" <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 14:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
        Is there anyone out there who has done any kind of study of
the aerodynamics of the TR7/8 body?  In particular, with the addition
of front and rear wings in mind?  I am in the process of designing said
parts, and thought there might be someone out there who had already done
some development of modifications to the stock body style.  I was talking
with a friend whose father owns a Europa which they completely redid.
They had some friends/aqquaintances who had results of photos taken on the
road with bits of yarn taped to the body. Anyone done anything like this
or know of someone who has?

        My plans are a rear wing (which will have to be a good 10" off the
rear deck so I can see under it) in the IMSA style, and a front wing
under the bumper, which will actually sweep up and back to direct the airflow
directly into the radiator, as well as hold the nose down.  I may also
put in a rear valance with skidpan under the rear axle (I haven't decided
yet, depends how difficult it will be).  (the rear valance will be under the
bumper, and the skidpan under the axle).  This should improve airflow
underneath the car, therefore improving mileage.  I also do plan to widen
and increase the number of the louvers on the hood, to improve airflow through
the engine compartment, further improving engine cooling.

        BTW, I know that the hood louvers work:  One early Sunday morning,
on a trip, I topped up the cooling system and took off.  Since I had left
off the fill plug (stupidity), once the engine temperature reached 212F,
all of the water turned to steam, and came pouring out the fill plug hole
and thence the louvers.  Therefore, they pass the wind tunnel test!

Thanks in advance...

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY