Stag Engines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, blackthorn@cix.compulink.co.uk
Subject: Stag Engines
From: blackthorn@cix.compulink.co.uk (Steve Goodall)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 22:37 BST-1
Greetings from Britain!

lesnyd@monsanto.com writes:

>PS - I don't mean to belittle the Stag. If it had a decent engine,
>I'd get one for the family. It's just that there's too many horror
>stories floating around!

And they are all true:  don't touch one with a barge-pole.  Worse still
was the one that they put in the Dolomite Sprint.  This was the Stag V8
block with one bank of cylinders cut away to make a lop-sided 1750cc
straight four with twin carbs and a timing chain that may as well have
been made of chocolate. It was also blessed with a cylinder head that
welded itself onto the block so hard that the best way to remove it was
to use a sledge hammer and buy a new one.  The Stag had, therefore, twice
the problems.  Many happy hours, comrades, many happy hours....

BUT!  A company in London in the 70's remedied this problem by fitting a
Rover 3.5 litre V8 block to the Stags.  This was in much the same
arrangement as the MGB GT V8 and afterward they were superb.  They looked
the part and were doubleplus reliable.  The useful moral of this story
for you, comrades, is that the Rover V8 of the 60's onward was (I'm told)
a Buick power plant built under licence.

So that's the answer: it's up to you to find the question!

Bye from Stevie!