Re: TR4A fuel pump and other questions

To: MGHering@world.std.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A fuel pump and other questions
From: sbender@dsd.ES.COM (Steve Bender)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 94 21:46:57 MDT
>       My second question is regarding fuel.  The highest octane I have
> been able to find is 94 at Sunoco stations.  When I could'nt find one of
> these stations, I filled up with 93 octane at Mobil.  The car did not

I typically use 91 Octane in my TR4A but can use 87 Octane with only the
slightest pinging on acceleration during hot days.  (I'm at roughly 5000'
elevation so those Octane numbers are tweaked off about 2-Points from what
you'd see)

> Should I be able to stay in 4th gear on a long upgrade
> on Rt 1 Maine at about 50-60MPH or am I expecting too much from a 4
> cylinder engine?  It may be my imagination, but the old engine seemed to
> have more power, or maybe I jsut have the carbs tuned improperly.

You're right.  Your TR ought to do a lot better than that.  I make weekly
runs up over an interstate pass (Parley's, just east of SLC) that approaches
8000' elevation and can maintain 70-75MPH with spare throttle.

>       Last question for now:  On this same trip my fuel guage and temp
> guage died at once.  Any other obvious failure points I should check
> other than the fuses?

You might also check the voltage stabilizer.

-Steve-