Just Another Weekend

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Just Another Weekend
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 09:28:39 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Well, I'm actually on vacation this week so I'll probably get far behind on my
BC e-mail. On the plus side, I think I'll be able to get enough stuff done
this week such that I'll be able to enjoy some fun driving in the beautiful
New England autumn.

This weekend, I attended the New England Triumphs annual Lobter Tour. This
event is a rather layed back tour followed by a tastey dinner at a small
clam / lobster shack near York ME. So, the lobsters don't get to tour but
they do play a big part ;-)

We woke up to temps in the low 50's on Sat. morning. A little too cool for
putting the top down (at least for Nancy and I) but it was clear and lightly
breezy. We drove up through north eastern MA and up to the Portsmouth NH
area and the initial rendezvous.

There were around 25 Triumphs of all sorts. There were at least 4 TR4's, a
bunch of TR6's and at least 5 TR3's a TR7, a couple TR250' and a Spitfire.
We all made the tour distance without any mishaps, although the Spitfire
eventually suffered a clutch hydraulic failure on the way home :-(.

SOLers Ron L'Herault and Chuck Centore were in attendance.

The tour wound through the Yorks area and we had several stops for pictures
etc. Included in the stops was York Beach where a bunch of went into the
"Funorama" arcade. It was quite a site to see six of us going head to head
at the Sega Race Drivin' game trying to navigate the touchy Suzuka Japan
circuit. I managed to pass everyone in both races... One thing on that video
game that I got a kick from was the LUCAS billboard at the approach to the
hairpin turn, nice touch.

Sunday dawned bright and early...and colder. The temps were in the upper
40's and it was downright windy. Forget putting top down on the ride up to
Cape Elizabeth, ME (South Portland). I managed to make the 110 miles in
around 1.5 hours ;-). When I got to the field, I was surprised that there
were only around 25 other cars there. Of course it was only 9:30 AM, so
there would be more.

Eventually around 170 cars showed up, and it was quite a nice show. I got
to talk to a bunch of folks, but I didn't see any SOLers. I hung around 'till
around 12:30 and then headed back home to Boston. I didn't make nearly as
good time on the way home as on the way up, but I could only take the freeway
(motorway) for around an hour. I then bailed out and took some twisty bits
back to home base. I had the top down all afternoon, as the tailwind of
25-30 MPH made the cockpit tolerable for the ride. It was tough keeping
my cap on!

Well, I had a good time, and I put on around 375 miles without incident.

Bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |