Re: RHD Experiences

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RHD Experiences
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 10:27:44 EDT
Andrew Templer wrote t'other day about his experiences with RHD in a LHD
world. I agree, and have a few to add.

A friend of mine returned after a year in France and a stop-over in the
UK, with a '49 MG-TC. RHD of course. He and another friend and I were out
toodling about, when the local constabulary shows us how the lights work
on his big Galaxie or whatever. Rich pulls over, and waits for the officer
to come up to the car. I am in the left seat, and Art was sitting cross-
ways in back. The officer walks up to me and asks for my license. I looked
at him, and made some comment like "What?" He asked me again for my license,
and I asked him why. He told me that my brakelight wasn't working, and he
wanted to know what was with this funny license plate. In a non-sarcastic
tone, I asked him why he wanted my license, as I wasn't even driving. He
told me to quit being a smart-a** and give him my license. I told him to
get the license from the driver. He ended up taking all of our licenses,
and then decided that it was just too confusing to even think about
writing up tickets for anything, especially when Rich stepped on the brakes
and showed him that the brakelight did work, he just hadn't used it. I
figured for a while that I was going to get my first ticket and I wasn't
even behind the wheel.

In the '70's, it was unusual for a LHD lbc to have UK registration, except
around the US bases. I bought my Spitfire in the UK, as a "personal export"
model for visiting forces. Fancy way of saying US Specs. My wife and I used
to enjoy going into a turn and her having her arms waving in the air all
the time. Got some strange and fearful looks.

Doug Mitchell - 75 degrees, clear skies, LBC - It doesn't get any better.