Re: MGB steering rack question

To: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu (James D. Howard II) (James D. Howard II)
Subject: Re: MGB steering rack question
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 9:56:51 PDT
> My steering rack has no grease/oil nipple.  I read somewhere that
> later left hand drive cars don't have them, probably to keep American
> mechanics from squirting grease where the manual says to squirt oil.

Apparently opinions vary.  When I posted questions about this a number
of responders said they did use grease rather than oil in their
racks with no ill effects.  I suspect the worst that could happen would
be a bit of "heaviness" in the steering during cold weather.  As I said,
I found grease in the snake's rack when I replaced the gaiters.  Maybe
I'm the one who put it in.  I don't recall 'cuz the car sat for about 15
years almost undriven and I didn't touch the rack during that time.

All the responding 'B owners who used oil said to use 90 wt.  My manual
says 140 wt.  It's the same rack so go figure.  Also my manual says the
grease fitting is for the pinion bearing.  I assume that the pinion
bearings in 'B racks without this fitting get lubricated via the gear
oil in the rack; unless they have sealed bearings which I suspect they
don't.  I don't know for sure why different users of these OEMed racks
had different maintenance procedures but I suspect it's because the
engineers at different car manufacturers had different opinions about
it and that it probably doesn't matter that much which procedures are
followed.

> > I have not had an leakage problems since I replaced the gaiters.  >

Mine still do leak though I think most of the oil is coming form the
gear box itself.  It's not a serious leak so I'm not too concerned yet.

Roland