Turn Signals

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Turn Signals
From: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
Date: Monday, 12 September 1994 15:17 PT
<Randell Jessup writes>
<Turn signals slow.>

Since you have resolved your problem now this info probably is not very
useful to you, but here goes anyway...
I recently had need to investigate a problem on one of my "B's" where
the left turn ran at about half the speed of the right turn. 1 per sec
vs. 2 per sec. when looking at the dash indicators.  I did the normal
check to see that the front and rear lamps were indeed working and to
my disappointment all worked and seemed to be of equal brilliance.
I then removed the lens from each lamp and removed each lamp to see if
I might spot anything obvious. I didn't find anything, but I did make
mistake,( fortuneately ) of removing both the front bulbs together to
compare one with the other. Since the signals and side lamps worked
what was the point of taking them out?  These lamps are the dual
filament offset locator pin variety, the glass envelope's were the
same size but the secondary filaments were slightly different sizes.
When I replaced the lamps and tried the signals again the problem had
now switched sides.  I was just able to read the # on the lamp base
of one lamp. The one lamp had a number 1157 (I think) this seemed to
work at or about the right frequency (1 per sec).  I picked up a new
lamp from the parts store and ...Hey presto..
The wattage of this lamp was 21Watt, the one that was slower was of
a lower wattage obviously, but the quick check did not reveal this.

John.Bartholomew
            John Bartholomew  AMDAHL SAN JOSE CA.
         Opinions are my own, not those of my employer.
        72 MGB, restoring 76 MGB, 78 MGB daily transport.
408-944-3592 (07:00-16:00 PDT)  via internet   jdb70@amail.amdahl.com