Re: cheap LBCs for the masses?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cheap LBCs for the masses?
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 94 9:54:52 MDT
{< Around here, anyway, an MG in very good shape is easily worth as much as a
{< five year old econobox. Is a daily driver LBC doable? Of course. Economic?
{< No. A five year old econobox will not need to have all the rubber brake
{< bits replaced, new suspension bushes, a patch in the gas tank, rust-related
{< bodywork, a new radiator, or perhaps a new wiper motor. A five year old
{< econobox will not have corroded electrical connections, a scratched up
{< windscreen, tired seats, a worn carpet, or worst, six previous owners. What
{
{Depends on the starting condition of the LBC and what you consider as very
{good condition.  I expect that $1500 can get you a solid, if not pretty,
{MGB.  Driveable on a regular basis. Fixing the problems that come up is
{part of the LBC Easy-Payment Plan.
{
{< An LBC is *not* cheap transportation for someone who just wants cheap
{< transportation. It's an alternative where one trades lots of time, TLC
{< and significant money for something fun and a little different. Resources
{< like this list are a big help, but you still have to change your own U
{< joints. And yes, you get a good feel for your car and some personal
{< satisfaction, and while I find making up TRF orders entertaining, lots of
{< people would rather spend the time going to the movies. Or spend the money
{< on a VCR.
{
{A strict comparison with middle-aged econoboxes is probably never going to
{be quite fair without some weighting for ownership/driving enjoyment. It
{particularly depends upon what you want to end up with.  Perhaps an
{economic factor to consider is what you have after spending
{repair money on it.  $1000 spent on a $1500 econobox leaves you with
{a $1700 econobox.  $1000 spent on a $1500 MGB leaves you with a $2500+ MGB.
{
{(If you wanted to do it all at once, I would also contend that $1000
{and 3-4 weekends is more than sufficient to turn any reasonable non-rusted-out
{MGB with a decent tranny into a reliable commute vehicle.)
{
{Part of the respect I have for my 68 MGB is based on how few times it has
{let me down over the past 19 years.  Under all conditions including years of
{regular commuting.  In fact, seems that most problems that kept it off the
{road occurred after sitting for some time. Its only been in the past few
{years that it has received much more than just regular tuning and maintenance.
{
{
{John Sanders

Normally I would have snipped the preceeding text to keep the length of
the article down, but it's shaping up into such a nice analysis of the
costs involved with running a LBC vs an Appliance that I've retained it.
Anywy, this thread prompted me to dig out an old Scott Fisher article on
the subject: