Re: Missing at 3000 rpm

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Missing at 3000 rpm
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 07:22:29 EDT
Funny you should mention that, I just went through the same
problem but with my GT-6.  At first it would just cough once,
soon after getting on the highway, but recently had gotten
worse.  It had begun coughing on almost every hill, but only
on the highway and at 3500 rpm.  If I ran at 3000 rpm, it was
OK or if I accelerated up the hill, I was OK.  It never coughed
on the 8-9 miles of two lane roads leading to the highway (which
I can often drive at similar speeds), or after getting off the
highway.  It simply seemed to not like steady highway driving.

I'd assumed it was an ignition problem and did a minor tune-up
using the parts I had at hand - plugs, points, rotor and condenser.
No change at all.  I've recently moved to a new house and its taking
me a while to fing all my tools, so I didn't get around to checking
the timing until last night.  It was off about 3 degrees; I re-set
the timing and my idle improved immediately.  The GT-6 started
much more easily this morning and didn't cough once on the drive
in to work today.  Its too early to say that the problem is solved,
but it sure looks good.

John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU