Hesitation in '73 MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hesitation in '73 MGB
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 08:16:04 +0000
Well the Green Car is back from the paint shop and whoo boy!  It isn't
perfect by any stretch, but a vast improvement from before.  We're going
to try to put a new top on today / tomorrow and bring it to Seven
Enterprises open house and the Berkeley Plantation show this weekend.

Niggling mechanical difficulties:

Oil soaks the manifold side of the engine.  The breather tube from the
valve cover to the intake manifold is gunked up on the outside pretty
badly, but I think some of it is coming from the valve covers (I adjusted
the valve lash without renewing the seal).  Any other problem areas for
oil on this side... could the gunk on the breather tube indicate lots of
oil is being sucked into the intake?  (I have pretty high oil
consumption... had it before I took the valve cover off, too).

Hesitation when engaging the clutch.  This is really strange, but I get a
rrrrrr<huh?>rrrrr with no backfire when letting in the clutch when
slow.  This occurs occasionally even after the engine is warm.  It does
NOT occur when accelerating normally through the gears after the
first-second transition.  I don't have any trouble on the autocross track
after my first->second transition (but I don't shift gears after that
either).  Observing someone else drive there is some black smoke in
acceleration but none in cruise.  It has a Pirahna module and a single
HIF6 carb.  I get a very occasional lean backfire.  Any ideas?

The tach is really flaky.  Sometimes I can get a reasonable figure by
tapping on the glass, otherwise it reads low.  Smith electric.  I'd like
to fix this as the 2nd gear RPMs are pretty high on our autox tracks.  Is
this likely to be something I can fix (basic electronics skills)?

John M. Trindle     | Williamsburg Town Square  | jtrindle@tsquare.com
T-Square Company    | 804-220-0533 login: bbs   | jtrindle@world.std.com
ISS/FSPlan for FS5  | Free Internet Mail        | 70303.3506@compuserve.com
Flight Deck IFT-PRO | Usenet Newsgroups         | TeamRX@aol.com