seized caliper on AH 3000

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: seized caliper on AH 3000
From: jsbradl@erenj.com
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 94 12:11:25 -0400
Last year there was an exchange with good info on a caliper problem, a
sticking piston I think. It was  answered with some authority by Philip J
Ethier so I thought I'd ask a question of my own, to him or anyone else
with the knowledge and experience one has come to expect of BCD
subscribers.  My problem is the reverse of the previous one.  On my AH 3000
the front left piston is sticking shut.  I removed the pads and cranked
back the piston with C clamps, installed new pads for the fun of it, but
the seizing piston simply clamps the pads to the rotor and I'm back to
square 1.  I want to avoid the price for new calipers, so I contemplate
buying the repair kit (probably just seals) and cleaning up the piston.
Maybe even replacing the piston.  Is there a hidden catch?  Those who seem
more knowledgeable than I give me knowing looks and shudder at my plans but
it doesn't seem like a complicated job.  Can anyone advise?  I'd appreciate
any help you can give.  Thanks.  John Bradley

John Bradley
Corporate Research
Exxon Research & Engineering
Rt. 22E  Annandale NJ 08801