Re: Fifties US Automobilaria

To: phile@stpaul.gov, pgarside@acorn.co.uk, Paul@apple.com, Garside@apple.com,
Subject: Re: Fifties US Automobilaria
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 94 09:22:28 -0700
In message <m0qleYh-00020FC@pwcs.stpaul.gov> Philip J Ethier writes:

> The Eagles, in Jackson Browne's song "Take it easy", talk about a "flatbed
> Ford" which is pickup truck with the pressed-steel cargo box removed and a
> flat platform fitted above the rear tires.  Browne may have had in mind a
> 1956 Ford F-100 thus fitted, as they are very popular as hot rods.  Of
> course, these trucks came with flathead V8 engines.

Fifties Ford V-8s, I knew them well (credintials - learned to drive in my dad's
1956 ford pickup, first car was a 1955 Ford, second car was 1956 Ford).

The Ford overhead vlave V8 made its debute in 1954.  I believe the last of the
Ford flatheads was 1953.  In 1955, the Fords with V8s were fitted with 272
engine, and the Mercury got a 292.  In 1956, Ford got the 292 engine and the
Mercs got a 312.  In 1957 through 1962 the 312 V8 was an option in the Ford &
Mercury lines.

Of note:
- The early versions of this engine were fitted with a tall Holly 4 barrel carb.
The front two venturies faced twords the front.

- In 1975 a Paxton supercharged version of the 312 was available in the T-Birds.
It had 312 HP.

- The engine had a long stroke and had a lot of torque for its size making it a
good truck engine.  The block extended well down below the crank making for a
very strong engine that was hard to break. This long center section gave the
engine a 'Y' shaped appearence when viewed from the front and gave it the nick
name of a 'Y' block Ford.

- 1957 heads had the largest valves and ports.  Early 60's blocks had improved
oiling & cooling jackets.

-The 55 & '56 Ford pickups had identical bodies (minor trim & grill difference).
There were two bed options.  Both beds had steel sides and wood floors.  The
F100 was the top of the line model pickup.  I don't know anyone who used them as
hot rods because almost all the weight was on the front wheels.  If you dumped
the clutch, they would just sit there and spin their wheels.  There were a
number of times when my Dad was "off roading" he had my sister & I standing on
the rear bumper holding onto the tail gate to get traction.  A number of people
did customize them.

My appologies for null Brit car content

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561