Big Healey oil pressure/gearbox

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Big Healey oil pressure/gearbox
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 20:00:50 EDT
I have several questions regarding my Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II (BJ7).

1.  Oil pressure - After replacing my oil pressure relief valve
I get 20+ lb at idle and 40-45 lb at 1500 - 2500 rpm.  I am using
Castrol GTX 20w50 and a Fram PH3600 oil filter with the Moss
spin-on adaptor.  The length of the spring on the new oil pressure
relief valve is 64mm while the spec from the BMC shop manual is
68.26mm.  The old spring was 62mm and pressure leveled off at
40 lb at 1500 rpm.  Should I be concerned about my oil pressure?
Does anyone know where I can get a spring which matches the spec?
The catalogs I have list only one part number for BN-4->BJ8 while the
BMC shop manual lists a different spec for the older 100-6 engines.

2.  Gearbox rebuild - I am going to be tearing down my gearbox to
replace the synchros this winter.  Various shop manuals and
Healey Club newsletter articles have suggested that the following
parts will need to be replaced

- synchro rings (2nd, 3rd, and 4th)
- front oil seal (the overdrive unit covers the rear of the box. )
- front and rear main bearings (only if they appear worn?)
- layshaft thrust washers (based on measured end play)

As far as I know, the gearbox has never been out of the car.
(The PO bought the car in 1985 and did no work on the gearbox)

First gear is pretty noisy so I will not be surprised to find a few
chipped teath.  Given the prices of gears, I intend to ignore
this one.  Aside from the lack of syncronization and the noise in
first, the gearbox appears to be in good shape, no noise in the
upper gears, does not pop out of gear...

So my questions here are:

a.  Should I plan to replace the two main bearings or only
if they appear worn?  (What criteria should I use?)

b.  Where it the best place to get parts?  Prices appear
to be about the same between Moss, VB, Healey Surgeons,
and Hemphills.  I am accustomed to dealing with Moss and VB
but have noticed that they do not actually stock some
of the parts which they list in their Big Healey catalogs.

c.  Will I need any special tools for removing and replacing
the two main bearings?  Anything else to watch for here?

d.  I plan to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, and
release bearing while I have the gearbox apart.  Are there
any other components of that system I should look at while
I have it open?

e.  Is there anything that I can do about the rear seal on the
engine (I know, it does not have a true seal back there.)
while I am in the area?  I have heard that there is a kit
to put a true oil seal for the rear main.  Can I install this
while the engine is in the car with the gearbox and clutch
out or does this wait until it is time to rebuild the engine?

Thanks for the advice.

Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com