Subject: Fifties US Automobilaria

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Fifties US Automobilaria
From: Wily1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 09:25:18 EDT
pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside) writes:

>Even if all of us are not familiar with the works of Steppenwolf, some of
>the older geezers might be able to answer these questions on Chuck Berry
>songs which have been bothering me: What are
>
> (... deleted...)
>2) A souped-up (sounds like) Chidney or Jidney (ref "Teenage Wedding" and
>"You can't catch me")?

I'd hardly qualify as 'geezer' in this crowd; rug rat is more like it, but
here's a stab. We crumb-busters have all sorts of bad habits, and one of mine
is leafing through Hot Rod magazine.

Based on having seen the word "jenny" used to describe about half of the '30s
Fords featured on the pages of HRM, I betcha that's what the good Mr. Berry
was saying. (Seems like HRM ran a Hot Rodding Dictionary once, and "jenny" is
phoenetic for "genny," which is short for "genuine," as in a customized Ford
which retained the "genuine" front suspension and frame rails, but I'm less
sure about that than the fact that the term refers to old Fords.)

OB Brit: Yesterday, at the 6th Annual Grand Prix (nudge, wink. Autocross) of
Wilson (NC), 2 MGBs, a Mini, and my Sprite did battle against the usual mix
of US/Japanese/German iron on the streets of TobaccoWarehouseville, USA. The
Mini belongs to Mike Kimball (Seven Enterprises), and he towed it down from
Norfolk VA behind a Rover 3500. Neat!

Mike won the excitement award, as he had just installed a ratchet-type
limited-slip differential and he drives enthusiastically to begin with, but I
stole the D/P wood despite making only 2 out of 6 possible runs (the clutch
sucked air and then the rains came. Slicks + no windscreen =
No_good_rain_car. =8-0)

A Land Rover was spotted cruising the paddock, but departed before my
courseworking session was over.

Ernest Davis <wily1@aol.com> 9/19/94, 09:04