Never Drive and Auston Healy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Never Drive and Auston Healy
From: "Kameran Kashani" <kamk@entropy.wpd.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:20:45 -0700
This humorous tidbit from Richard Carleton Hacker's
"The Ultimate Pipe Book:"

        I had not yet learned that there were pipes
        other than the cheap drugstore variety and
        grown disgusted with the harsh bitter taste of the
        breaking-in process I had experienced with the
        two pipes I already owned. Therefore, upon
        purchasing yet another heavily lacquered, red
        colored filter pipe ... I packed my new briar
        full of a coarse Burley tobacco, fired it up
        with a packed of paper matches and climbed into
        my 1954 Austin-Healey four-banger and roared
        down the highway for about an hour holding my
        red-hot glowing pipe out the window to
        "properly" break it in within a record time.
        At about 70 miles an hour the smoke was pouring
        out of the mouthpiece like a steam engine! At
        the end of my experiment I confidently brought
        the pipe back into the roadster and looked at
        what I expected would be a nicely charred,
        evenly smoked bowl. Instead, the pipe looked
        like it had been created in Dr. Frankenstein's
        lab; the entire exterior finish of the pipe had
        bubbled and cracked and the pipe itself had
        burnt completely through at the heel. At $3 for
        the pipe and ten cents for the tobacco it was a
        relatively inexpensive lesson for me, even in
        those days, but it taught me something I have
        never forgotten: to this day I will not smoke a
        pipe in an Austin-Healey.

(Copyright 1984, 1989 Richard Carleton Hacker. Reprinted without
permission. From "The Ultimate Pipe Book," second edition,
Autumgold Publishing, ISBN 0-931253-03-9, pg. 129.)

Kam

--
kamk@sgi.com

"Maybe `WWW' includes the word `weird' somewhere." -kozmo (kozmo@cruzio.com)