TR 4-cylinder engines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 4-cylinder engines
From: matt@smyers.demon.co.uk (Matthew Adams)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 17:44:05 GMT
This subject may have been brought up before, and if so please accept my
apologies as a newcomer, and point me in the direction of suitable info.

Triumph 4 cylinder engines have a fan fitted to the crankshaft as standard for
cooling purposes. I have heard that this also acts as a damper for vibrations
in the (3 main bearing) crankshaft, and without it, it is possible for the
vibrations to actually break the crankshaft.  A number of people sell electric
fans to replace the mechanical one (my TR4A has one fitted and the crankshaft
has indeed broken in the past). Any thoughts on this from anyone?  If it is
true what suggestions does anyone have as to an alternative method of damping?

--
Matthew Adams,  (1966 TR4A)

email: matt@smyers.demon.co.uk