Wheel Designators (J JJ etc

To: "Scions of Lucas" <British-Cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wheel Designators (J JJ etc
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 21 Sep 1994 09:43:08 U
   Wheel Designators (J JJ etc.)

  Someone asked about Wheel descriptors recently, like 4.5J15.  I was having
a flat repaired yesterday, and while waiting read through a copy of Tire
Dealers Journal (it was either that or an old Glamour magazine!).  Anyway,
there was an article about wheels, and it mentioned that the J JJ JB and so
on descriptors referred to the shape of the "lip" of the wheel.  It also said
that for practical purposes, the J and JJ (plus several others) could be
considered interchangeable.

  I just got my Panasport Superlite wheels in this week - they have a JJ
designator.  Unfortunately, they're also thicker than pressed steel wheels,
and I will have to install longer studs on my Austin-Healey 100/6 before I
can install them.  Oh well, they look nice!

First Thought:  is there some way to bodge the lug nuts or ???
Second Thought:  this is for racing -- I'd better play it straight !!

  --  Dave L.