Re: GT6 woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: GT6 woes
From: bownes@lucas.emi.com (R.M. Bownes III)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 08:49:13 +0500
->Got the clutch free (yippee) runs...like a dream. However, then the little
->nylon cup under the shifter broke off, so now changing gear is like
->stirring porridge. The starter motor then gave up the ghost. Ah well....
->
        Congrats! The easy fix for the shifter is to put a shifter
rebuild kit in. Costs $20.00, takes about 3 hours, 10 bolts, maybe 11.
Gives you a like new transmission...

->Questions:
->1) My steering is real sloppy. I thiought tie rod ends...but the wheel shake
->test didn't show that. I got an asistant to turn the steering wheel
->while i looked...and the little box that the steering column goes into
->moves 1/2 inch either way before the wheels turn. How on earth is that thing
->meant to stay fixed in place???? It doesn't seem like it should be fixed...
->

There are two rubber blocks underneath two U shaped bolts/plates that
hold the steering rack down. Order up two new ones, rubber if you want
original, polyurethane if you want performance. Pull the plates (nuts
are underneath the car as I recall) replace the blocks, and put the
plates back on. The trick is in getting the whole thing tight in the x
axis (if y is longitudinal axis of the car, & z is up/down). You can
get a special tool to do it, I prefer doing it with a helper.

iii