Oil, Water and ENGLISH mustard.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil, Water and ENGLISH mustard.
From: jsbradl@erenj.com
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 09:27:52 -0400
 Don Mathis writes:-  "A few years ago I was shaking the oil and
vinegar to put on my salad and noticed that before I could actually get the
mix to my salad, the two would separate.  So.....I took the mixture to
the basement, placed it into my nebulizer ( a tank with a high power
ultrasonic transducer) and mixed it right up.  The good news is that
it no longer separated.  The bad news is that it looked like urine with
spices floating in it."
        In the absence of a nebulizer just add a pinch of Colman's ENGLISH
Mustard powder and shake by hand.  It will stay mixed and look less like
urine.  (Of course, I don't actually know what Don's urine looks like.)
It's to do with surfactants and emulsions, but since I don't want to start
that Chemistry-Ph.D. pogrom again, I'll let it go at that.

John Bradley
Corporate Research
Exxon Research & Engineering
Rt. 22E  Annandale NJ 08801