Re: Crankshaft Treatments

To: richard+1b5d11@mole.demon.co.uk (Richard Smith)
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Treatments
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 9:52:47 MDT
> Triumph crankshafts are notoriously difficult to treat by Nitriding or
> Tuftriding, beacause they haven't enough carbon in the steel (I think
> that's the reason, anyway!). Kas Kastner (who I reckon knows more about
> Triumph engines that most of us have forgotten) says "The standard
> crankshaft is very reliable even in the pure stock form and does not
> require any special modification..." Maybe he was just talking about racing
> engines, but I guess if it was worthwhile to Nitride the crank he'd have
> done it. We *always* used to do it with Mini cranks...

The factory recommended Nitriding the crank for the TR engine if you
planning to race it.  The primary reason was to force the wear into the
bearings and not the crank.  The stell in the TR engine is notoriously
soft and tend to wear right along with the bearings.  Many such as Kas
were not woried about this since parts were so cheap in the 60's that a
new crank was a simple fix.  Now the new crank requires a second
mortgage.

--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley