Re: New purchase...

To: Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New purchase...
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 17:21:57 -0700
In message <9409261728.ZM6734@dr.att.com>  writes:

>       Ok. So a month ago I was in the market for an early MGB. Today I
>       went and bought a '62 TR4. There's no need to rationalize LBC
>       purchases, right?

Congradualtions you did the right thing!

>       This is my first Triupmh purchase, and my first foray into LBCs
>       since I was old enough to know better! I have several queries
>       for the collective wisdom concerning this, an early '4 commision
>       #CT3854.
>
>       - The tr4 has wire wheels (great!), but they're 48 spoke, not 60
>       (not so great). I've read that these are marginal on the '4 and
>       should perhaps be replaced with 60's for the increased strength.
>       Any experiences/comments?

I wouldn't replace the 48 spokers untill you need to... Unless you just NEED a
set of chrome spoke wheels, then go to the 60 spokers (1/2 inch wider rims).
How do you know if you need to replace them?  The hubs can cost more to replace
than the cost of purchasing a new wheel.  The splines should look like a
truncated peramid
     _
   /   \

Both sides should have the same degree of slant.  It should not look like a
perimid /\ nor should it lean /|

Look at the splines on both the axle hub and the wheel hub.  The splines on the
inside end of the wheel hub should not have any wear sinse they set behind the
axle hub's splines.  You can use these to see how the splines are supposed to
look.  If they are bad, consider replacing them with new wheels & new axle hubs.

They wear because they are not on tight enough, and they move against each
other.  So:

- Make sure the knockoffs are very tight

- remove the wheels every 6 months, clean out the hubs, regrease them and put
them back on.  Failure to do this will eventually result in your not being able
to take them off if you wanted too.

Wire wheels are comparitivly high maintenence, but they are neat.

>       - The tr4 has the early type intake manifold, which I understand
>       was replaced in later years by and improved version. Is the new
>       manifold a drop-in replacement for the old, or does it involve
>       significant work? Will I reap noticable effects?

I haven't heard that the longer intake manifold is improved.  The early ones
work just fine.  But yes they are interchangable (its the same head & same
exhaust manifold.

>       - The tonneau doesn't fit! I assume at one time it did, but the
>       dry climate and years have made the last to snap-ons impossible.
>       Any way to stretch this thing so that it will remain streched
>       and not _significantly_ weaken it?

Could be the person who originally put it on  didn't put the snaps on correctly.
Could be it was from a different car.  Try again of a hot day and pull hard.
they are supposed to be tight, but not impossible to fit.

> Thanks,
> Charlie Farwell

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561