Engine Swap- Buick Aluminum Block

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Swap- Buick Aluminum Block
From: mws1@admin01.osi.COM (Matt Silveira x257)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 94 08:44:37 PDT
I would recommend that you *not* go with the 350 cu V-8 Buick.  As
said, the original, "Rover" V-8 was an aluminium small block Buick.
These engines were "o.k." but not great - why do you think GM sold the
thing to the Brits?   (No bad blood intended, just that a big us auto
maker would do something underhanded is no big suprise.)

Anyway, these Buick engines are rare since not too many units went into
production.  To make them fit you need a special intake (either for an
SU configuration or a low profile for American 4 barrel down-draft.)
Also, special headers, coolant lines, etc.  And, don't forget, a tranny
adaptor!

I could give you some sources. . .  One that comes to mind for adaptors
is a place in Paso Robles, CA called Advanced Adaptors.  They can mate
any engine to any tranny-- if they don't have it, they'll fabricate
it!

Incidentally, I don't think you'll gain all that much. . .  The Buick
aluminum block was strong for the '60's but it is not up to spec for
today.  I would suggest at looking at a more modern V-6 swap.

Good luck

Matt Silveira
System Engineer
OSI
matt@osi.com
"Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer."

Thought for the week:

Oops.  My brain just hit a bad sector.