Re: Engine Swap - Buick Aluminum Block

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: Engine Swap - Buick Aluminum Block
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@Vela.ACS.Oakland.Edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 11:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
Matt Silveira writes:
> These engines were "o.k." but not great - why do you think GM sold
> the thing to the Brits?

Not to flame or anything, but you're kidding, right?  I used to work for
GM in the distant past (and my wife up to the recent past) and the things
that go on inside are totally unbelievable.  If you spent your time
throwing money out the window in buckets, instead of what they actually
do, you'd end up SAVING money.  In their first big layoff some years back,
they separated enough people to make up a company the size of Chrysler and
that was just a drop in the bucket.  What amazes me about the sale was
that they SOLD it and got some money back instead of just scrapping the
whole deal (like they usually do).  Some guy probably got fired for
that decision :-)

I think it's a really nice engine.  Parts are available, it's easy to
performance tune, if you want to do that, and it's pretty light.  The
only real problem I've had with mine (in a TR8) is the inevitable
corrosion with some of the bolts.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu