Re: Vapor lock (???) in a Healey

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Re: Vapor lock (???) in a Healey
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 8:06:19 PDT

>> Bad problem here.  Just when the 100-6 is all warmed up and has been ripping
>> along the boulevards for 15 minutes or so, sometimes it begins to hesitate.
>> The carbs seem to "choke" as if they aren't getting enough gas momentarily.
>> The most common time for this to happen is if I have been on the highway at
>> 70-80 mph and try to accelerate; it just seems to bog down but often recovers
>> and becomes "normal
>> "again.  Please, can someone help with this?  I have no idea what the problem
>> is much less how to fix it.  The Fuel pump was replaced 3 years ago along
>with
>> all tubing withought resolution.
>> Has anyone had this before?  I'm getting desperate--nothing I do makes it go
>away!
>> Thanks,
>> Henry Wilson
>
>Sounds like my '66 Midget (RIP).   On hot days, I could not get above 3500
>RPM.  It was the fuel vaporizing in the lines.  I insulated the line from
>the manifold area and the problem went away.  Modern gasoline is more
>troublesome in this regard than the stuff available back when the car was
>built.

I neglected to mention this in my earlier post, but the older Big Healeys
were prone to vapor lock due to the fuel lines being routed alongside the
exhaust.  Later models had the pump and lines on the other side of the
car.  If the other suggestions fail you could try wrapping the lines in
some sort of insulation (tinfoil and epoxy? 8-)) or re-routing the lines.

regards,
bs