RE sand blasting etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE sand blasting etc.
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 19:48:52 EDT
I just got my 1961 Mini Countryman back from the strippers yesterday.  The
process they used was "Media Blasting".  The media they use is plastic beads,
which does not deform the metal or etch it.

After they got the paint off they went back and blasted the actual rusted
areas with sand. The plastic beads don't take off rust. Thus, the floor,
wheel wells and sills were sand blasted.  After the blasting was finished
they immediately painted the shell with Ditzler DP40 primer.  This is a rust
inhibiting primer that seals out moisture.

The cost was $270 for the blasting, $120 for the primer.  The change is
wonderful, I feel like I have a new car!

There are two shops here that do this media blasting, I talked to several
people at cars shows about their experiences with them and I chose the shop I
took it to on that basis. I was very happy with them.

This blasting process does not take off undercoating, so you should get it
off with a heatgun and scraper first.  It also makes sense to go ahead and
cut off all the panels that are going to be replaced.

BTW, if I could get a replacement body shell ( like is available for the
MGB's) I would do it!!!!  What a bargain.

Don