Re: Repair Nazis

To: AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Repair Nazis
From: Miq Millman <mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 94 9:49:03 PST
Andy Mace says:

> More LBC-related:
>
> Does anyone know how one might go about dissolving the bond that holds a
> multi-piece taillamp lens together -- specifically a Herald lens? Also,
> is there a good adhesive for regluing such lenses? Superglue never seemed
> to work for me with plastic lenses.

Get some 30 minute epoxy at a hobby store.  It's clear, what is known as fuel
proof (I think gas doesn't destroy the bond), and holds darn near anything.
Places that cater to R/C planes should have a good stock.

In the newest issue of Classic Auto Restorer is a pretty good article on a
first time restoration of a 1958 Bugeye.  In one paragraph he talks of using
wax paper and scotch tape around the broken tail light lenses as a mold then
filling the void with epoxy resin.

After gentle sanding, and using a felt marker to color in the new stuff red,
the whole lense was sprayed with a clear gloss enamel.

Sounds pretty ingenious to me.

--
Miq Millman   mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com   503 642 6139   (Aloha site)
AL4-55  Intel, 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497