Will zzzzzzzzz TD

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Will zzzzzzzzz TD
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 23:52:33 -0500
Wiil Z asked about the MG TD....buy it Wil , have some fun, drive in the rain
with the top down....a pair of goggles and a leather helmet are better than
hoods and side curtains any day!!  I had a TD in college....many a Sunday
night I drove back to Baton Rouge in the rain listening to Jack Benny on the
glove box radio and operating the windscreen wipers by hand.....those were
the days, and yes this does date me!

The TD you described would go for 6 to 8 K out here on the left coast.  A
nicely restored TD goes for 14 to 16 K.  There is nothing on a TD that cannot
be fixed or parts obtained .... Moss and Abingdon have NOS or New repro for
almost every part, those that they don't have are available from Skip Kelsey
(510 846 1309) who has a ton of stuff besides being a Moss distributor and
the best part is he gives you 10% off Moss prices plus free shipping if you
order more that $50 at a time.  Blair Engle in Fla. is like Skip but I don't
know about a discount.  There are lots of parts out there....the instruments
can be repaired by a number of folks including MOMA in North Hollywood, Ca.
 plus they often show up at swap meets.

Worry about the rear end ratio later after you have dirven the car a while
and determined what your needs are.  If you want more power, these engines
are easily hotted up in stages.  Or add a super charger.

As to drivabilty, Skip did the 3200 mile RT to Calgary with me last summer
with his wife and he thinks nothing about tooling off for a 600 mile RT
somewhere, just did a run from San Fran to Flagstaff for the weekend. He does
have the lower MGA ratio for good freeway touring.  we ran 55-60 mph all the
way to Calgary and I was in my Cart Sprung TA....

You will have a lot of fun with this little in-expensive classic and it
sounds like you could do it in a rolling restoration....just like the Snake!

Cheers
Terry