Machining Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Machining Question
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
I NEED new front sub axles for my spline-drive/wire wheel 289 Cobra.
They are no longer available, but 427 pin-drive stub axles are.  I had
this thought.  Close scrutinization of the drawings of the stub axles in
the 289 and 427 manuals leads me to believe that they are identical at
the vertical link end.  This end is tapered and press-fits into the
vertical link.  Both axles have 5/8" BSF nuts on the vertical link end
and 1/2" BSF nuts on the hub end, but the 427 axles are a bit longer.
There appears to be enough extra length on the 427 axles to whack off
and re-machine to 289 length.  Most likely these axles have gone through
some sort of hardening process.  Would re-machining them be practical?

Muchas gracias,

Roland