Re: Fiberglass Refurbishing Advice Wanted

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Refurbishing Advice Wanted
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:47:20 EDT
In a message dated 00-08-02 12:19:53 EDT, cobra@cdc.hp.com writes:

<<  I was thinking maybe of slapping on a
 new outer coat of white pigmented resin.  Is this the way to go?  What
 would be good surface prep for this?  I'm especially concerned about the
 scorched areas that were next to the exhaust headers. >>

Roland, I used to build fiberglass canoes...this is about all you can do
unless you reproduce the box as a molded item....I assume you've lost some of
your gel coat under the bonnet there.  Just degrease it, sand it good and
paint with an epoxy paint....resin will stick too.  You might want to fab an
alloy heat sheild to prevent future heat damage to the box.  Of course at the
rate you are going, thats not likely for a few years!  ;-)
Terry