Re: Fiberglass Refurbishing Advice Wanted

To: "Roland Dudley" <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Refurbishing Advice Wanted
From: "John D'Agostino" <jdagostino@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:19:05 -0400
Hi Roland
I've done a fair amount of glass work when I restored a 64 Corvette and the
Daimler. In the engine compartment of both the Daimler & Corvette I cleaned
the bad areas with laquer thinner, then  laid more fibreglass resin and mat
to match the original fairly close after trimming away the loose stuff.
These were areas that had delaminated somewhat due to heat and oils.Then I
sprayed with epoxy primer and a high build laquer primer to fill in any
voids. Kept sanding and repeating prime until I had everything evened out,
then topcoated with a textured flat black laquer. It looked really sharp
although the Corvette "purests" wouldn't agree, but who cares what they
think.
I've not used a "gel coat" so I can't comment, but I just use regular resin
and mat you can buy at the autobody store. I had to rebuild most of the body
mounts and the entire door hinge areas on the Daimler and the stuff worked
nicely. The textured black is PPG DDL9321 (or 9328? memory is going along
with the hair!). It was used for the blacked out hoods on some of those
Chrysler muscle cars, so It holds up nicely.

Happy motoring
John