Re: Jaguar/Daimler/Rover???

Subject: Re: Jaguar/Daimler/Rover???
From: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:42:35 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dbmitch@peoplepc.com>

> Glen,
>
> There is a trademark problem with calling the cars Daimler on this
> side of the pond. There hasn't been a car marketed as the Daimler
> in North America for quite a few years. And since there hasn't been
> any Rovers marketed in the States since the '80s, the Land Rover
> dealers wouldn't know of them.
>
> --
> Doug Mitchell
> mailto:dbmitch@peoplepc.com
> '73 Spitfire 1500

Doug,

That's a good point about the Daimler trademark.

Regarding the other point, however, I can only say that ignorance is no
excuse for...ignorance.  If all the papers have been signed, Land Rover is
now separate from Rover for the first time since its inception as a post-war
sideline in 1948.  You would think that if someone with a love of
automobiles went to work for Audi in the year 2000, he might have heard of
Auto Union or maybe NSU or at least be aware that Audi was owned by
Volkswagen.  Of all the people in the USA that I might have expected to have
heard of the Rover marque - well, some of them might have been at a Land
Rover dealership.

To some people, it's just a job.

Glen

PS  Sterlings were Rovers, too, and they last sold here in 1991 or 92.