Unsolicited attachments

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Unsolicited attachments
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:24:34 -0600
This subject has been raised numerous times.  Please don't send unsolicited
attachments to the list.  If you feel you absolutely must do so, at least
give some indication of what application was used to create the
information.  I foolishly attempted to open the latest one and it crashed
my computer.  While this was not a serious problem, it could have been.

Many of us are Mac users or are using another sort of operating system.
Some of us, myself included, are not computer-hobbyists and are not
interested in the very latest software and operating system upgrades (all
of which are intended to enrichen the already obscene wealth of Microsoft
and related companies).

Perhaps some of you are new computer users and have purchased the latest
equipment.  Your attachments may not be compatible with many existing
systems or applications.  Please inform us - or better yet, ask us if we
wish to receive a copy then no harm will be done.

Normally, I delete all unsolicited attachments - as do most other people -
for fear of attracting a virus.  Therefore, it probably accomplishes little
to send a general attachment - except to annoy people like me who try to
open them on the strength of a good introduction and favorable review from
another lister.

John McEwen