TR7 bearing noise - Part Quattro

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 bearing noise - Part Quattro
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:28:28 EDT
All,

Ok, oil pan is out -- left engine mount was a real pain -- and it's square
instead of round for some reason.

Took lower shells of main bearing #3 and rod bearing #3.  Main bearing shell
has worn copper, with a corner already chipped off and what looks like a
small crack on the back side near the alignment tag.  Rod shell still has
original grey surface, but I'll replace all shells anyway.

I was hoping that when I took off the lower shells I would find a shell size,
to see if I need undersize or standard shells, but the numbers that are there
don't mean anything to me:

On the main bearing shell, there is  5103 with a triangle in a circle symbol
on one end, and a 143040 on the other end.

On the rod bearing there is a 5104 with symbol, and a 145396.

Would non-standard shells have a .010 or .020 mark?

And one more question, I notice in the Victoria British catalogue that you
can get standard or .005 O/S thrust washer.  I haven't pulled mine out yet,
but should they be marked as well?

As usual, mucho thanks for all the help.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC