Re: Old Gas/Petrol

To: <Johno8@aol.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Old Gas/Petrol
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:41:07 -0600
>Just how critical is 6 month old unleaded gas/petrol in firing up old cars?

Not that critical.  The fuel in my Europa is WAY older than that, and I got
ti going and drove an autocross on it last October.  (In true Lotus fashion,
the driveline did not break until AFTER the timed runs.)

>Mine refuses to fire even once, and yes, there is spark.

I used just a wee bit of ether to get it to pop over.  The car ran pretty
oddly for a bit.  After I got it warmed up, I found myself on a deserted
stretch of road and gave it a quick Italian tune-up, and it ran well all
day.

Until the right halfshaft, which some DPO had chromed, shattered.  Not bad
really, since they have held up for me since 1991.  I now have some real
Lotus (not chromed, thank you) halfshafts and will have them in for
springtime fun.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org