TR8 Brake Servo

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR8 Brake Servo
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:08:41 -0700
Okay, my son is on his second Apple Hydraulics rebuilt TR8 brake master
cylinder.  It appears to be better than the first one, which was DOA, but
the
brakes still are not up to par.  He's done a couple bleeds, and each
seems
to have helped some, but stopping still isn't as good as it should be, so

maybe this MC is only marginally better than the first one was.

One thing we noticed about this MC that neither of us recall about the
original or the first Apple MC is that there is a vacuum leak at the
MC/brake
servo interface.  There has never been a gasket there, so what we suspect
is
that the rubber dust boot that goes over the push rod end of the MC also
serves as a vacuum seal at this interface.  He still has the original MC
and its
boot has a lip where it fits over the MC.  While we are not certain, our
recollection is that the boot on the currently installed Apple MC does
not
have this lib, but that the first one did.  Unfortunately he has already
returned
the first one, so this can't be verified.

Do any of you happen to know if this boot does serve as a vacuum seal?
Or
is there some other seal that we have somehow overlooked or damaged?

TIA Roland