Re: Bugeye brakes

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye brakes
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:25:01 -0700
Randell's scenario is the most likely, but there is another possibility,
depending on how your brakes are set up.  Many many years ago
the brakes on my Cobra exhibited the identical symptoms.  I asked
around (no Internet in those days) and was told by a British car
mechanic that the problem was in the calipers.  I rebuilt them, but
the symptoms remained.  Finally I decided the problem must be
in one or both of the master cylinders.  Cobras have two brake
master cylinders with a balance bar in the pedal linkage.  While
I was trying to disconnect the linkage, I noticed that I couldn't budge
the balance bar, which was cocked at a slight angle.  Turns out the
problem was corroded linkage causing there to be continuous pressure
on the front master cylinder push rod.  A little grease fixed the
problem.

Roland