Re: [British-cars] South SF Bay Area Wire Wheel Tire Installion

To: "'BC'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [British-cars] South SF Bay Area Wire Wheel Tire Installion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:25:39 -0700
> The problem is finding an installer in the South San
> Francisco Bay area who has the proper equipment to do the installation
> and
> balancing on center lock wire wheels.

I can't help directly, Roland, but I do have two suggestions:

1) Call around.  There are more places than you might expect that have the
equipment and knowledge.  Few years ago, I had to buy 2 new tires for my
Stag in Iowa (on my way to IL from CA), and the very first place I pulled
into sent me to a place just a few miles away that not only had the right
size tires, but the right tools.  They didn't "specialize" in British cars
or wheels, just knew their trade.

2) Almost any place can safely install the tires, using the same tire
machine they use for "mag" wheels (so it grabs the rim rather than the
center).  One solution might be to have your local shop install the tires
and balance as best they can; then you could reasonably safely drive to a
place with the proper cones to balance the wheels right.

-- Randall
British-cars@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47