Re: 3.9Fi mods

To: Anthony Bromberg <abromberg@Convergencellc.com>
Subject: Re: 3.9Fi mods
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:17:07 -0500

Andy-

I have a 4.2 L I am getting ready to install to replace a 215, maybe
this weekend. You should have no difference in valve gear, & I doubt
that the compression will change, unless you use the thin head gaskets
in place of the thicker 4.2 L later items. The stock 4.2 L is 8:
something, just under 9:1, the thin head gaskets make it just over 9:1.

The  plugs are the same, timing is the same, no change in air cleaner,
or anything else I know of. Can't speak to a piston or rod change, as my
short block was assembled when I got it.

A different cam is definitely in order, along with new lifters. I
suggest the Wedge Shop, Woody Cooper, or TSI, Ted Shumacher (sorry if I
butchered your name, Ted), for cam specs, distributer curve info. You
are using a K & N air filter, aren't you?

If you don't have those e-mail addresses, let me know.

Jim Stuart