Re: Rover V8 Timing

To: vscjohn@iamerica.net
Subject: Re: Rover V8 Timing
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:24:53 -0500

I have always set my initial timing at 8`, with total advance about 34`.
This seems to work well with with compression ratios up to 10.75: 1, as
well as 9: 1. I have run this setting with a mild street cam.

This is not to say that I have optimised the setting, I am sure I have
not. This setting does, however, provide easy starting, cool running, &
good performance. At 9.6: 1 & lower, the engine will not ping on 87
octane unleaded, at 10.75: 1 & over, 92-93 octane is required. I woulg
guess that 10: 1 would require 89 octane.

David Hardcastle, in his books on Rover V8's, has many bad things to say
about the early Rover points distributers. At the least, I would
consider a rebuild, next, an electronic conversion, or throw it away in
favor of the Mallory, preferably the magnetic version, with or without
vacuum advance, depending upon your cam choice.

Hope this will give you a starting point.

Jim Stuart