Need help identifying my 215

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Need help identifying my 215
From: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:58:31 -0500
I picked up my 215 last weekend but have been unable to positively
identify it despite the MG V-8 newsletter "215 Engine Identification"
article and other info that a list member sent me (thanks Paul!).  The
engine is supposedly from a '63 Buick, the engine ID numbers are stamped
on to the right side (passenger side) of the block (the article says
that it should be on the left side) just in front of the head.  The VIN
number (at least what I think is the VIN number -- it is right side up
when viewed from the front of the engine) is 3HI550857 (yes that is an
"I" after the "H" and definitely not a "one" or an "ell").  The engine
ID number (upside-down when viewed from the front of the engine) is
HH258843.  The "I" in the VIN number and the second "H" in the engine
number do not match the numbers given in the article.  The engine has a
Rochester 4 barrel carburetor and what looks to be the original aluminum
intake manifold.  The intake manifold casting number is 1349520 which
doesn't match the info that I have.  The pistons seem to have a .06"
dish.  The dish covers most of the top of the piston and has a little
downward dimple in the middle.  The air cleaner (which looks to be
factory original) has a large "Buick Skylark" plate screwed down to the
top of it in the center and a "185 Hp" plate glued to the top of the air
horn.

Any help you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO