Re: Need help identifying my 215

To: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Need help identifying my 215
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:09:34 -0700 (PDT)
>I picked up my 215 last weekend but have been unable to positively
>identify it despite the MG V-8 newsletter "215 Engine Identification"
>article and other info that a list member sent me (thanks Paul!).  The
>engine is supposedly from a '63 Buick, the engine ID numbers are stamped
>on to the right side (passenger side) of the block (the article says
>that it should be on the left side) just in front of the head.  The VIN
>number (at least what I think is the VIN number -- it is right side up
>when viewed from the front of the engine) is 3HI550857 (yes that is an
>"I" after the "H" and definitely not a "one" or an "ell").  The engine
>ID number (upside-down when viewed from the front of the engine) is
>HH258843.  The "I" in the VIN number and the second "H" in the engine
>number do not match the numbers given in the article.  The engine has a
>Rochester 4 barrel carburetor and what looks to be the original aluminum
>intake manifold.  The intake manifold casting number is 1349520 which
>doesn't match the info that I have.  The pistons seem to have a .06"
>dish.  The dish covers most of the top of the piston and has a little
>downward dimple in the middle.  The air cleaner (which looks to be
>factory original) has a large "Buick Skylark" plate screwed down to the
>top of it in the center and a "185 Hp" plate glued to the top of the air
>horn.
>
>Any help you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>Kevin Brown
>Odessa, MO
Reply from D. Kernberger

6/19/99
Kevin,

        I am not an expert on this stuff, but let me give a few ideas.  The
ID numbers are in the correct place (passenger side).  People still confuse
right and left sides of a car because they are unconsciously influenced by
their own right and left sides and are usually looking towards the back of
the car.  It is therefore much better to use passenger & driver side
(unless we are talking about U.K. vehicles).  Look at the picture on page
13 of the newsletter--you will see it is on the passenger (right) side.

        Based on the newsletter chart, the .060" piston dish appears to be
consistent with the 185 HP label and the vehicle ID number appears to
identify it as a 1961 Flint, Michigan Skylark (10.25:1 CR).

        I cannot explain the extra H in the engine code.

        See if you can find an aluminum tag under one of the screws holding
down the top cover (air-horn?) of the carburetor with a 7-digit number,
beginning with 70, and let me know what it is.  I happen to have an old
Rochester Carburetor parts book and I can look it up and tell you what
engine the carburetor was originally used on.  The newsletter article gives
only the Buick part numbers of the carburetors, not the Rochester
Carburetor Numbers.

Regards,
D. Kernberger