Re: New Member to the List- Longtime fan for this engine

To: Pete Bronlund <peteb@clear.net.nz>,
Subject: Re: New Member to the List- Longtime fan for this engine
From: Andrew McKenzie <andmaca@tig.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:47:25 +1000
Hi Pete,
            Best trick with a complete rover v8 i've found is to seal
everything up until its time to reassemble. If complete, spray a light coat of
diesel oil on the outer surfaces to prevent corrosion. If separate pieces spray
a light coat of diesel oil on the parts, go to you local engineering company
that rebuild motors and ask for some large,clear plastic bags to store things
like heads, crank, rods, and block in, and seal the parts up as well as
possible. Always wipe bores down with oil on a motor that doesn't have cylinder
heads on it. Gently rotate crank after wiping the bores to prevent piston
seizure in the bores. I've had a Pontiac 455cid several years ago that I built
up after having the machining done two years before finally assembled. This
motor is now pulling a Pontiac GTO 1/4 miler car down in Canberra, Australia.
Hope this helps. Cheers, Andrew.