RE: 300 head opinions

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 300 head opinions
From: "Jones, Daniel C" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:41:39 -0600
It's not worth it on a stock displacement 215.  It will kill your
compression, more than offsetting the gain from the better
flowing ports.  On a stroker, things are different.  The larger
chambers provide the proper compression ratio with a variety
of piston/rod combos.  The strokers also need the larger
ports.  For best results with 300 heads, you'll want to do
something with intake manifolding.  Most of the intakes (Offy,
Edelbrock, GM) for the 215 have 215-size runners.  You won't
get the all the benefit from the heads if you choke the flow at
the intake.  The Huffaker, however has ports that match the
Buick 300 heads exactly.  Don't know about the Harcourt or
Wil-Power.  I have also seen a 300 4 barrel intake narrowed
to fit.

I'd suggest just bowl porting and port matching your 215 heads.
If you want to get tricky, you could also weld up the combustion
chambers of the 300 heads down to 37 cc's.  That'll allow you to
keep your compression and get the larger ports.  Or just keep
them as they are and save them for the stroker motor you've
been wanting to do :-)

On my 215 rebuild, I home ported the 215 heads and installed
larger valves.  I also kept the stock GM 215 4 barrel intake.
For my 289 stroker, I have a set of Buick 300 heads and a
Huffaker (well it should be here this week).  Should be a fun
engine if I ever get around to building it.

Dan Jones