Micrometer vs Dial Caliper Tool Question

To: "V8 Rover List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>, <ROVERWORLD@onelist.com>,
Subject: Micrometer vs Dial Caliper Tool Question
From: "Glen Wilson" <RoverCar@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:05:30 -0500
I'm looking at spending some of my limited tool budget on some measurement
equipment.

I just bought a dial indicator and stand for checking runouts, but now I've
got a bit of a dilemma.

I am probably in a position where, for the time being, I will have to choose
between buying a
0-6" DIAL CALIPER and and a 0-1" MICROMETER.

The dial caliper seems to be a much more flexible instrument in many ways,
although I suppose the micrometer would be better for an absolute
measurement of something very thin, like a shim.

So the question is, how much can I really do with the dial caliper vs. the
micrometer in general automotive work?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Glen Wilson
Email: RoverCar@voicenet.com