RE: Micrometer vs Dial Caliper Tool Question

To: "'Glen Wilson'" <RoverCar@voicenet.com>
Subject: RE: Micrometer vs Dial Caliper Tool Question
From: "Opstal, Lex van" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:47:13 +0100
Glen,
Like you I'm buying some measurement equipment needed for blueprinting
the first of my V8 engines.
Given the choice between a 0-1" micrometer and a 0-6" dial caliper I
would always choose for the dial caliper.
Of course the question is what do you intend to measure on a regular
basis.
For engine building one needs larger micrometers for crank journals and
pistons and the like.

As for accuracy. Proper measuring is an art in itself. They nearly all
reed to 0.01 mm but with analog
readings you can measure thousands of a mm between the stripes.

Now I have a question also.
In the various (american) magazines and books I have on the subject of
blueprinting
engines there is always mention of snapgauges for measuring internal
diameters.
After measuring the internal diameter the snapgauge is locked and then
the snapgauge is measured in a micrometer.
These snapgauges are much, much cheeper then a dialcalipergauge for
internal diameters.

Can any of you give me a brand name or web site or prices for these
snapgauges?

Lex.