Re: Heads on a 63 Buick

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Heads on a 63 Buick
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 22:25:31 -0700
7/14/00

Jim,

        You probably cannot use the 300 heads on a Buick engine of only 215
Cubic Inch Displacement because the combustion chambers are so much bigger
than those in the original 215 heads.  To do so would probably require big
time head milling, or installing flat top pistons, in order to maintain the
compression ratio in the desired range of, say, 8.8:1 to 9.5:1.  For the
most part, the 300 heads are better suited for bored and/or stroked engines
of much larger displacement.  Then the larger combustion chambers fit right
in and are almost a necessity.  I don't know just how much the stock heads
can be reworked, but the talk seems to indicate that much can be done----at
what cost??????

Cheers,

Dave K.