Heads on a 63 Buick

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Heads on a 63 Buick
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 05:10:30 -0600 (MDT)
I decided the other day that since I am going to the trouble to build good
flowing headers for my Buick 215 that I should do something about the
SMALL exhaust ports on the heads.  I built the headers with the 1.5 inch
diameter pipe flanges.  I would like to keep costs low (who doesn't) but
will pay for results.  If I am going to port and polish I will do bigger
valves etc, but my question is what is the etc.  As far as I can tell, my
options are to port and polish the stock heads and fit with larger valves
but I don't know which ones, or I can ge the Buick 300 head route, but I
don't know what this will entail.  Currently the engine has an Edelbrock
dual plane (performer?) manifold with a carter AFB 4bbl.  The headers are
4-2-1 design with 1.5 inch primaries.  I will probably put a cam in the
engine, but that depends on the heads.  As I said I have the 63 Buick
whick is 12:1 compression if I remember correctly.  I would like to get
about 230 horses out of the engine at the wheels, but I don't know what
that will require.

In summary what are my options for breathing, port, polish, and valves, or
new heads if so which ones.

What else should/could I do to get 230hp out of this engine.  The engine
was quoted originally at 210hp at the flywheel, I don't know what this
ammounts to at the wheels, but I would like to bump it up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT ever so slowly turning into a V8
'63 Buick 215

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari