Re: Lucas ECU 14 Cu

Subject: Re: Lucas ECU 14 Cu
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:16:26 +0000
lmg@gomog.com wrote:

> Hi Kurt,
>
> You will find all the information you need on the GoMoG site Plus 8 page
> at http://www.gomog.com/plus8.html with links to other sources around
> the internet as well.
>
> The original 14 CU system was developed for the California emission regs
> in the late 70's and early 80s and then used on TR8s and SD1s throughout
> the States with a lambda sensors. It is a Lucas analogue ECU with the
> trusty Bosch L-Jetronic airflow meter and injectors.
>
> In 1983/84 it was installed as an expensive option in the UK Rovers with
> the lambda sensor "looped" or closed off and the resistor values changed
> from the earlier US system to increase power.
>
> In 1989/90 LR/Rover went to a digital ECU with a Hitachi airflow meter
> and different injectors ect. The systems are as unalike as chalk and
> cheese.
>
> My guess is that have mistaken the Lambda sensor circuit for the "cat
>
> Take a look at the wiring diagrams and other info. If you need more,
> ask.
>
> Lorne

        Hi, Guys,

        I hate to keep doing this to you, Lorne, but I think you'll find
that the system on TR8s and SD1s was type 4CU, not 14CU! The type 14CU
was a forerunner to the 14CUX, being in the same square black box (not a
rectangular - and much larger - silver one), and was quickly superceded
by the CUX, which simply had a few more facilities (X = eXtended) as the
14CU was found not up to the job. It uses the same Hitachi hotwire AFM,
and cat or no-cat systems are accommodated by a different chip (one of the
CUX extensions was the multi-tune facility). I have never seen a 14CU
harness with any kind of resistor in it other than the coil sensing one,
which is a black rectangular item with 1/4" Lucar connectors at each end,
although if the vehicle in question has manual transmission there may be
a resistor in place of the neutral switch used in an automatic.

        Most of the management strategies I have seen for these involve
not using the lambda sensors until they have been observed to work, so
simply removing the sensors should result in a happy system. As for the EFI
warning light, part of the problem with the 14CU seems to have been not
enough facilities to do diagnostics, so it will probably illuminate only
under serious problems!

        I have a substantial collection of these ECUs (mostly defunct,
unfortunately), type 4CU, 14CU, and 14CUX, and I write my own strategies
for the 14CUX, so I have been into them quite a long way! If anyone would
like images to compare these units, I'd be happy to set something up
(probably a relevant thing for my website, anyway...).

        Best Regards,
                Franc.
--
      W------W